Daughters Of Isis by Joyce Tyldesley

I have been fascinated by all things ancient Egypt for as long as I remember. I loved reading about eras of the pharaohs, the gods of the Egyptians and River God by Wilbur Smith is one of my favourite books of all time but that’s for another day.


Thus, it’s quite automatic that when I came across Daughters of Isis – Women of Ancient Egypt in the store about 6 years ago, I bought it without a second thought although it's non-fiction. As you can see from it photo, I only got it for $15 (Ringgit). I started reading it soon after but sorry to say, up to today, I am only half way through the book. It’s not that the book is not interesting. It is. It’s fascinating to read about lives of these women in ancient Egypt and their views on status of women back then, to social etiquette to grooming and even on their take on religious life and death. Women played an important role in the structure of society even at that time.

Daughters of Isis was first published in 1994. My copy under Penguin Publication was the 2nd edition. The synopsis of the book says that Egypt was undoubtedly the best place to have been born a woman in the whole of the Ancient World. The Egyptian woman were independent in many ways and very influential especially those fortunate enough to be members of the royal harem as well as those who rose to rule Egypt as ‘female kings’.

Joyce Tyldesley is an authority in ancient Egypt. She is a British archaeologist and Egyptologist, academic, freelance writer and broadcaster and had written many books on ancient Egypt. I actually have another of her book with the title ‘Ramesses : Egypt’s Greatest Pharaoh’. I think the book is still somewhere in my house. Let me ‘dig it out’ *:)* (haha…bad pun)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Original Work of Fiction - A Battle Lost and Won

Silver Tears (Faye's Revenge #2) by Camilla Lackberg